Amateur Theatre Groups

An easy way for your Amateur Theatre group to legally copy music for Variety Shows.

Amateur Group Singing Licence – Just Launched!

The Amateur Group Singing Licence allows amateur theatre group members to make photocopies of works and also permits minor arrangements (e.g. change of key) to suit the voices of the group. The licence is applicable where an amateur theatre group is copying music used in the rehearsal and performance of a Variety Show or similar (as part of the Amateur Theatre activities).

What can amateur groups do with the licence?
With the PMLL Amateur Group Singing Licence you can easily and legally make copies of songs without contacting publishers individually (please check the publisher list to find out which publishers are included in this licence). This licence does not cover the copying or performance of whole musicals, permission for this would need to be obtained direct from the publisher.

Why was the licence created?
We wanted to simplify the licensing process for groups whilst working with music publishers to ensure songwriters and composers are fairly paid.

How much will it cost?
Pricing is tailored to the size of your group and how many songs you want to sing.

£2.50 (+VAT) 1 copy per member of up to 5 Licensed Works

£5.00 (+VAT) 1 copy per member of up to 10 Licensed Works

£10.00 (+VAT) 1 copy per member of up to 25 Licensed Works

£15.00 (+VAT) 1 copy per member of up to 50 Licensed Works

Where can we find out more and sign up?
You can sign up for an account to purchase a licence, and when you make copies of music, report information on what you have copied, via the PMLL portal. Creating an account is a quick and simple process.

Do I need to report what I have copied?
Yes, it is essential that we receive information on works copied under the licence. This ensures that we can pay the correct publishers who in turn pay monies to the writers and composers of the works.

Amateur Group Singing Licence

Publisher List

Excluded List

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see below a number of FAQs relating to the Amateur Group Singing Licence. Please contact PMLL if you would like to add any questions or feel something is missing.

What does the licence cover?

The Amateur Group Singing Licence (AGSL) allows members of an Amateur Theatre group to make copies of music for Variety Shows. The licence is only applicable for Variety Shows, it does not cover the copying of music for Musicals.

What is the definition of a Variety Show?

A Variety Show will consist of different repertoire performed by non-costumed members of the group. Typical examples are “Back to the 90’s” “Best of the 70s” etc. The licence des not cover the copying of songs from an entire musical.

Can I copy songs from musicals which will be included within the Variety Show?

Yes you can however, there is a limit of 3 songs that can be copied from any one musical.

What does the licence allow me to do?

The licence allows copies to be made of a number of songs (depending on the tariff paid) for the number of members of the group that the licence has been paid for. The licence also allows a minor arrangement, e.g. change of key. Anything more substantial must be cleared directly by the publisher.

Do I need to own an original copy of the song/work?

Yes an original copy of the work must be owned. We do not want to replace the buying of copies of music, just allow groups to legally make copies of music.

Do I need to report copies that I make?

Yes. It is important that you report everything that you copy so that we can ensure we are paying the correct people for the use of their works. This can be done simply and quickly via the PMLL portal.